That Every Ability May Belong
The Stages of Belonging
- One of the most important steps to becoming a renewed, vibrant community of faith is to create a sense of belonging for each member. Learn the stages of belonging so you can ensure belonging extends to individuals of all abilities and their families.
Reflecting on Belonging
- Belonging entails more than being present. It involves the efforts of everyone in the community to invite, welcome, accept, know and befriend individuals of all abilities. List the action steps your faith community can take to ensure every individual experiences true belonging.
The Ministry of Jesus as a Model for TEAM Belong
- Explore the Gospel accounts that illustrate how Jesus made proximity to, respect for and solidarity with people with disabilities a priority in His ministry.
- Help Ministry Leaders make belonging for all abilities a priority with this audit.
The 4D Approach
- Change attitudes and raise comfort levels so we minister alongside people with differences as co-laborers.
- Some good ideas used by congregations and religious schools to welcome all abilities in the area of belonging.
- Some good ideas used by congregations and religious schools to welcome worshipers of all abilities and their families in the area of affirmation.
10 Tips for Affirmation
- 10 ways to welcome individuals of all abilities in the area of affirmation.
How You Can Make a Difference
- Educate your congregation about the many things they can do to create belonging for all abilities with this bulletin insert.
Survey of Needs
- Find out what accommodations are needed.
Mental Health Ministry
- Tips to minister to individuals with mental health concerns.
Know Your Disability Etiquette
- Know your disability etiquette so you can confidently offer hospitality to individuals of all abilities.
- Some good ideas used by congregations to welcome individuals of all abilities and their families in the area of communication
10 Tips for Communication
- 10 ways to welcome individuals of all abilities in the area of communication.
People First Language
- Use "People First Language" to promote dignity and respect for individuals of all abilities.
Additional Communication Resources
- Resources for large print missalettes, assistive listening devices, sign language interpreters and access symbols.
- Ideas to make the physical structure of your house of faith more accessible
10 Tips to Increase Accessibility
- 10 ways to welcome worshipers of all abilities in the area of accessibility
For Religious Educators
Different Gifts, Same Spirit Lesson Plans
Use the Different Gifts, Same Spirit lesson plan series to teach elementary, junior high, and high school students how to welcome students and worshippers of all abilities
Available in booklet format from Loyola Press or download a free version:
- Director's Guide
- Family Guide
- Intermediate Student Guide
- Intermediate Catechist Guide
- Junior High Student Guide
- Junior High Catechist Guide
- High School Student Guide
- High School Catechist Guide
The following series of educational items can be used in bulletins, on websites, or in newsletters to help raise awareness about how each of us can play a part in creating belonging for all abilities.
Right-click and select "Save image as…" to save the file to your computer.
Resources for TEAM Belong Month
Please join us in celebrating That Every Ability May Belong Month! Set aside time to reflect on, educate about and celebrate creating belonging for individuals of all abilities in our communities of faith. The following resources were designed to encourage your participation!
- Congregations are granted permission to use the original song “Open Doors” in perpetuity.
Resources for a TEAM Belong Ministry
A group of dedicated individuals can survey, train and transform your faith community into a place where individuals of every ability belong.