10 to 12 Month Baby Communication Milestones to Look For
See the 9 different communication milestones baby should be reaching by 10-12 months old. There is a clip that goes along with each milestone so you can see and hear the different communication milestones for baby. As always, our content is validated with American Academy of Pediatrics findings and reviewed by pediatric therapists. View all the 10-12 month milestones your child should be reaching.
My 12 months, baby should be consistently demonstrating the following milestones:
- Meaningfully uses “mama” or “dada”
- Responds to simple directions, e.g. “Come here”
- Produces long strings of gibberish (jargoning) in social communication
- Says one or two words
- Imitates speech sounds
- Babbling has sounds and rhythms of speech
- Pays attention to where you are looking and pointing
- Responds to “no”
- Begins using hand movements to communicate wants and needs, e.g. reaches to be picked up
If you notice your baby is not meeting their 10-12 month communication milestones, contact their healthcare provider.