13-18 Month Old Communication Milestones
See the 13 communication milestones baby should be reaching by 18 months old. There is a clip of each milestone so you can see the different communication milestones for baby.
By 15 Months:
• May use 5-10 words
• Combines sounds and gestures
• Imitates simple words and actions
• Consistently follows simple directions
• Shows interest in pictures
• Can identify 1-2 body parts when named
• Understands 50 words
By 18 months:
• Responds to questions
• Continues to produce speech-like babbling
• Points at familiar objects and people in pictures
• Understands “in” and “on”
• Responds to yes/no questions with head shake/nod
• Repeats words overheard in conversation
The Pathways.org milestones video series helps parents and caregivers track their baby’s development and detect possible delays.
Use Pathways.org resources to track baby’s milestones and help identify potential early communication delays. If you notice your baby is not meeting their 13-18 month communication milestones, contact their healthcare provider.