Get Your Toddler Talking — Tips From a Speech-Language Pathologist
Tips to Help Your Child Talk From a Pediatric Speech-Language Pathologist
Expressive language: sending a message
Receptive language: understanding a message
When Playing at Home:
- Have your child request items
- Describe what you and your child are doing
- Have your child ask and answer questions
How Can I Work on Expressive Language Skills at Home?
- Read books with baby
- Play with bubbles
- Use toy sets, such as farm, train, or car sets
- Encourage pretend play
How Can I Work on Receptive Language Skills at Home?
- Give child directions
- Play games with directions
- Say what you see
- Include child in cooking
- Answer questions while reading
Communication skills start at home! Practice every day as part of your daily routine.