How to Help Baby When They Fall
When baby is learning to move, it’s common (and expected) for them to lose their balance. This can be scary when that happens! It’s common for babies to fall when learning to roll, crawl, walk, or stand So what should parents do when baby falls?
Here are a few steps to follow when baby falls:
- Remain calm. Remember babies are very resilient, so react calmly and don’t get upset.
- Observe the situation. If a child is alert and crying after a fall, this is a normal reaction.
- Look for any signs of injury. Most of the time, injuries are not severe and can be cared for at home! *If there are obvious signs of severe injury, call 9-1-1 or take them to an emergency room.
- If baby does not have any severe injuries but crying, comfort them. Say something like “I’m sorry you fell down! Are you okay?”
- Get back to your activity! Show baby it’s safe to get back to what they were doing. Change how to do the activity to make it safer if needed.