Important Communication Milestones: Baby’s First Year
How does baby’s communication develop over their first year? Here are a few of baby’s communication milestones from 0-12 months!
- Baby will smile and turn their head in response to sounds or voices
- They make eye contact and cry differently for different needs
- Baby will listen and respond when spoken to
- They’ll begin to babble to get attention
- Baby recognizes the sound of their name!
- They also use simple gestures, like shaking their head for “no” *Baby’s sign for milk shown
- They are still babbling, but using an increased variety of sounds and syllable combinations
- Baby will say one or two words!
- They will also use “mama” and “dada”
- Baby will also begin using hand movements to communicate their wants and needs
Check out Pathways.org for the complete list of milestones by age!