Parents’ Guide to Baby’s First Steps
Is baby almost ready to start walking?
Here’s some tips to help baby take those (clumsy) first steps:
- Put toys up on surfaces so baby practices playing in standing.
- When helping baby, hold them at their rib cage instead of their arms. This will encourage baby to use their core muscles to stand.
- Put small items in baby’s hands to encourage standing without support.
- Start with a short distance, if it’s too long baby may resort to crawling!
- Try not to fully extend your arms towards baby. This can cause baby to lean too far forward and fall.
When baby falls (they will!), reassure baby with a positive voice. If you sound scared or nervous, baby will be too!