Parents’ Guide to What is W-Sitting and Why it Matters
Does your child w-sit? If so, there may be some risks from sitting in this position. Watch to learn more about w-sitting, and how to change this behavior.
Read more about w-sitting in our blog post, What is W-Sitting?
Want to watch more videos about related topics? Click the button below!
Read along with the video below!
Have you noticed your child likes to w-sit? W-sitting is when kids sit with knees bent and feet outside the hips. If you notice your child sitting like this a lot, there are a few risks you should be aware of. Here are some risks to w-sitting for long periods:
- Hip dislocation
- Increased muscle tightness
- Limited trunk and core strength
- Lack of cross body movements
Here are some tips to help stop w-sitting:
- Remind your child to “fix their legs” and put them in front of their body
- Offer a small chair or stool as an alternative to sitting on the floor
- Show them alternative ways to sit
Are you ready to try these tips out?