Your toddler is developing quickly and preschool is right around the corner. As your 2-3 year old continues to grow, use our sensory motor checklist to help identify concerns with your child’s development. Make sure to also check out our communication milestones, free videos and free printouts.
Your toddler can understand most of what you say to them and they are learning words quickly. Look at our list of communication milestones to learn about how your little one’s language skills continue to develop.
By 30 months:
- Consistently uses 2-3 word phrases
- Uses “in” and “on”
- At least 50% of speech is understood by caregiver
- Follow 2-step unrelated directions, e.g. “give me the ball and go get your coat”
- Understands basic nouns and pronouns
- Understands “mine” and “yours”
By 36 months:
- Asks “what” and “where” questions
- Uses plurals, e.g. “dogs”
- Most speech is understood by caregiver
- Simple understanding of concepts including color, space, time
- Understands “why” questions
- Understands most simple sentences