Simple Sensory Activities for Baby
Are you looking for fun sensory activities to add to baby’s daily routine?
Maybe even some that might excite baby’s senses? Try these ways to engage in sensory play!
Many simple activities can go a long way towards developing baby’s 7 senses. Try these activities to work on baby’s sensory development. These are sensory activities for infants and babies, and are best done before baby’s first birthday.
To Help Develop Baby’s Sense of Touch:
- During bath time let baby play and splash around in the water
- Wrap baby in different textured towels or blankets while holding them
To Help Develop Baby’s Sense of Hearing:
- Talk and sing to baby
- Play with sound rattles
- When baby is over six months, let them use a wooden spoon to hit a pot or pan
To Help Develop Baby’s Visual Sense:
- Play with mirrors and flashlights
- Play games face to face and make silly faces at baby
- Go on walks outside for a change in scenery
To Develop Baby’s Sense of Smell and Taste:
- Use baby wash during bath time and different scented lotions
- When baby is over 6 months, give them a scent jar to explore new smells
To Develop Baby’s Movement (Vestibular) Sense:
- Rock and swing baby gently
- Carry baby in a variety of different positions
To Develop Baby’s Body Awareness (Proprioception) Sense:
- Swaddle baby in early months
- Do baby stretches
- After baby is 6 months old, put different textured objects in a box (e.g. scarves) and let baby pull them through a hole in the box.