Important Feeding Milestones: Baby’s First Year Part 1
How do baby’s feeding skills develop over their first year? Here are a few of baby’s feeding milestones from 0-12 months, validated by American Academy of Pediatrics findings!
- Baby latches onto nipple or bottle for feeding and their tongue moves forward and back to suck
- They will drink 2-6 ounces of liquid per feeding, 6 times day (the quality and frequency might vary in breastfed babies)
- Baby will show interest in food
- They will also open their mouth as a spoon approaches
- Baby can hold and drink from a bottle
- They will start to look and reach for food that is nearby
- They’ll also show strong reactions to new smells and foods
- Baby can finger feed themselves
- They will eat an increasing variety of foods
- They might be ready to start self-feeding with utensils!