Important Motor Milestones: Baby’s First Year (Part 1)
How do baby’s motor skills develop over their first year? Here are a few of baby’s motor milestones from 0-12 months!
- While lying on tummy, baby can push up on their arms and lift and hold their head up
- Baby will also be able to bring hands to mouth and move fists from closed to open
- Baby uses their hands to support themselves while sitting
- They will also start to roll from back to tummy and tummy to back
- Baby can sit without support and reach for toys without falling
- They will begin to move with alternate leg and arm movements, also known as crawling!
- Baby will stand alone and take several independent steps
- They can also maintain balance in sitting when throwing objects
- Baby’s fine motor skills will continue to develop, as they use their thumb and pointer finger to pick up tiny objects
Check out Pathways.org for the complete list of milestones per age!