Parents’ Guide to Baby’s Hearing and Listening Development
From birth, baby is also hearing your voice and learning to listen to certain sounds. Learn more about the hearing and listening skills they’ll develop in their first year.
Read more about hearing and the other senses on our Sensory page.
Read along with the video below!
Did you know baby hears and listens to you? This is great because it helps build language development. Here are some skills and tips for hearing and listening development.
- Skill: Baby may coo in response to your voice.
- Tip: Help keep baby’s hearing/listening engaged by narrating your day.
- Skill: Baby notices toys that make sounds.
- Tip: Help baby by listening to music and playing with sound toys.
- Skill: Baby can identify sounds, such as animal or car sounds.
- Tip: Help baby connect words to images by reading picture books.
- Skill: Baby gestures with sounds to communicate wants and needs.
- Tip: Help two-way communication by responding to baby’s sounds.