Parents’ Guide to the Importance of Reading
Reading is such an important part of their development—even if your child is too young to read on their own! Watch to learn the benefits of shared story time on their communication development.
To learn more about the benefits of reading, visit our blog post How Books Can Help Your Child.
Read along with the video below!
Why is reading essential for communication development? Kids are continuously learning about how sounds and language work. Reading and storytelling help with fluency, creativity, vocabulary, and comprehension.
Here’s how you can get them interested in books and stories!
- Familiarize them with books from a young age
- Get in a reading routine, e.g. bedtime or nap time
- Have them describe the pictures
- Read their favorite stories again… and again
- Expand their vocabulary
- Ask them questions about the story
- Encourage them to tell their own stories