Here are fun games to play with your four to six month old baby as he starts to explore and communicate.
Motor Games and Activities
- Place baby on their tummy to play in short spurts for up to an hour over the course of the day
- Place baby tummy down on a blanket and move the blanket slowly around the room
- Allow baby to explore age appropriate toys with their mouth and tongue (be sure that the toys are large enough so that baby does not risk choking)
- Encourage baby to practice repeated rolling from back to tummy. Place toys around to encourage pivoting
Sensory Games and Activities
- Encourage baby to touch fabric with different textures such as wool, corduroy, and velvet
- Lift baby up and down and play in different positions to help develop their sense of movement and balance
- Find balls with different textures and colors. Teach baby how to roll, drop, and bounce them.
Communication Games and Activities
- Play peek-a-boo
- Use a variety of facial expressions while you talk
- Read with baby. “Reading” can simply mean describing pictures without following the written words.
- Encourage two-way communication. When baby coos or babbles, be sure to respond and take turns in “conversation”.
- Play with rhymes and songs
- Encourage baby to play with toys that make sounds
Feeding Games and Activities
- Collect a variety of scents (flowers, spices, cookies) and pass them under baby’s nose one at a time to see what kinds of smells they prefer