What is Massage+ 30, 10, 5?
Massage+ 30, 10, 5 is a simple, quick, and powerful intervention using massage to help improve the health and development of premature and full-term infants. This is a massage of baby’s head, arms, legs, belly, and back, and also incorporates communication and movement.
Massage+ 30, 10, 5, also referred to as ATVV (for Audio, Tactile, Visual, Vestibular), was developed by Rosemary White-Traut, PhD, RN, FAAN, and member of the Pathways.org Medical Roundtable. This medical expert-backed method is supported by more than 35 years of research, millions of dollars in research funding, and showed proven benefits for premature and full-term infants.
What does Massage+ 30, 10, 5 help with?
There are many benefits to this baby massage intervention. Some of the benefits include improvements in:
- Baby’s sleeping and eating habits
- Baby’s sense of hearing, touch, sight, and motion
- Parent confidence levels
- Parent and child intimacy
- Parent and child communication
What does Massage+ 30, 10, 5 mean?
The numbers 30, 10, 5 refer to the length of time involved in the massage. They stand for:
- Talk to baby for 30 seconds
- Massage baby’s head, arms, legs, belly, and back for 10 minutes
- Rock baby for 5 minutes
Massage+ 30, 10, 5 steps
How to Apply Massage+ 30, 10, 5
Follow these steps to apply Massage+ 30, 10, 5 to your baby. The same steps apply for premature and full- term infants.
Some best practices to remember:
- Allow enough time so you are not rushed
- Best to do in a dimly lit, quiet room
- Do the massage at the same time each day
- Give baby 100% of your attention
Step 1: Talking
This step should last 30 seconds. However, even when you move on to the other steps, continue to talk and look at baby during all parts of Massage+ 30, 10, 5.
Steps 2-6: Massage
These steps should last 10 minutes. Repeat the steps baby liked until you complete a full 10 minutes.
Please note: If baby shows signs of disengagement during the massage, return to massaging areas baby prefers
Step 7: Rocking
This step should last 5 minutes.
Can I do Massage+ 30, 10, 5 on my newborn?
Yes! This baby massage was originally developed for premature infants after 35 years of research, but was found to have great benefits for full-term newborns and infants. Massage+ 30, 10, 5 is recommended for use on babies up to 1 year old.
How do I massage my baby?
You might be wondering how to give baby a massage. Baby massage does not look like your typical massage. Because babies have much less muscle, especially newborns and premature infants, the touch and movements performed are much more delicate.
Watch this dad perform Massage+ 30, 10, 5 on his baby in the NICU to learn more.
Learn more about Massage+ 30, 10, 5 with these helpful guides!
How is Massage+ 30, 10, 5 different from other baby massages?
Massage+ 30, 10, 5 is:
- A simple 15-minute intervention
- Originally designed to help premature babies, but proven to have benefits for all babies — from newborns (including preemies) to 12 months
- Based on more than 35 years of research funded by the National Institutes of Health
- Research conducted by Rosemary White-Traut, PhD, RN, FAAN, a member of the Pathways.org Medical Roundtable
- Also known by medical professionals as ATVV (Audio, Tactile, Visual, Vestibular)
- Helpful at home and in the NICU
By doing Massage+ 30, 10, 5, you are getting to know your baby better.
Watch the full intervention here.
Want to learn more about this baby massage?
Take our on-demand course, made for parents, to learn more about how to do the massage, cues you’re getting from baby, and more.
More parent & baby activities