Tummy Time Abilities at 6 Months
Many parents hear Tummy Time is important and know doing Tummy Time helps baby build muscles and skills to meet their future motor milestones. But how do you know baby is making progress during Tummy Time?
Use these abilities to ensure baby is continuing to develop though Tummy Time. Baby should be continuing to spend longer amounts of time on their tummy. They may even prefer their tummy to their back because it’s easier to play, reach for toys, and explore.
- Tummy Time becomes more directed by baby
- Reaches and grabs toys of different sizes while on tummy
- Can pivot in a circle while on stomach
- Rolls from back to tummy and tummy to back
- Begins to prefer being on their stomach. Being on their tummy allows them to play, move, and explore more easily.
Tip at 6 Months: Encourage baby to practice rolling and moving while on their tummy. Use toys to keep them motivated!